Re: [TenTec] In praise of older technology

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>, n1068d@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] In praise of older technology
From: Pete Ferrand <petef@sprynet.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 10:51:21 -0600 (GMT-06:00)
Hey Doug:

Now that you mentioned this, I'm curious. Could you share details on how you
built the condensor mics? Or did you take a mic out of a cassette recorder and
mount it in a case?

As to the rest of this thread, I'll point out there are many important
characteristics of a good microphone besides linear frequency response over a
specified bandwidth. Articulation is one of them, as it directionality in three
dimensions, self noise, distortion, and many others. Additionally many
commercial recording mics have designed in boosts in some part of the spectrum
to enhance vocal performances and cut through the noise of the band. It's a
huge topic.

-Pete
WB2QLL
Somers, WI