Re: [TenTec] In praise of older technology

To: Pete Ferrand <petef@sprynet.com>, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] In praise of older technology
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 05:05:15 -0500
Hi Pete - sorry, I am not Doug... but you ask about building microphones... and one can, and I have, done practically what you ask about re-purposing electret capsules, and similar things.

I have constructed many microphones for various purposes. Some were to amp various musical instruments, some were for vocal tasks, and still others were several were for computer speech recognition. I have purchased replacement dynamic microphone cartridges to mount in various holders, for example to "restore" an old Shure Unidyne 550 (the original "Elvis" microphone - I just love that beautiful zinc finish) and I purchased $2 electret capsules at RadioShack and from a company called Emkay to disprove the claim proffered by many speech recognition vendors that one needs a $400 +/- Sennheiser MD431 II Microphone to achieve best recognition accuracy... sheesh... for an application which, at the time, utilized a mere 11.5 KHz sampling rate! Heck the original recognition engines were built using a cheap $50 Shure VR116 microphone! It was nutty. I proved one can realize equal recognition accuracy with my raw, unmounted $2 capsules as with many microphones costing 10 to 50 times more. Did I mention it was nutty? I quit the business when they wanted me to endorse products I did not believe in.

You can purchase all sorts of un-mounted "replacement" dynamic cartridges and electret capsules of all sorts, and build them into whatever "deliver system" (i.e. handle) you like. Just wire it up correctly, and pay attention to various matters like handling noise and odd acoustics encountered in various shells or holders. Some vendors sell the Sennheiser ME-3 headworn condenser microphone (sold with Sennheiser wireless mic systems) - but complained there was a sort of hollow reverberating toneality to it... so I taught them to just paste a little electrical tape over the HOLE in the front of the mic boom shell, which cures the problem. They then sold it as having "proprietary modifications." Sheesh... so much for the "magic of marketing."

Just Google search for mic parts on the Internet or on eBay and you will discover all sorts of replacement parts you can play with. I know some vendors who sell multiple (maybe ten) Panasonic electret condenser elements for $5 to $7 delivered. These are the type you typically find in computer gaming headsets like the Yamaha CM-500 headset Jim Brwon likes (for good reason,) but you could build your own boom arm and attach one to virtually any headset - I have - and if you get a decent one, it will sound just as good as the expensive sets. My friend's CM-500 mic broke, and I replaced it with a boom arm from a cheap $5 Chinese gaming headset I found in eBay. He was thrilled and cannot tell the difference in transmit audio, and I made a hit with the local crowd for being the new guy with a talent for home brewing stuff. You know, how new hams don't build anything anymore... ;-)

Anyway... I sure Doug will have better stories, but I thought I might chime in as this is one of the few areas I can offer anything close to technical advice.

Happy trails.