Re: [TenTec] In praise of older technology AM transmit with Ten Tecrigs

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] In praise of older technology AM transmit with Ten Tecrigs
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 16:27:24 -0600
I find that my Omni VII on AM sounds quite good. Almost as good as the retried 1KW BC transmitter with its typical compression and limiting equipment in the audio path. I run the Omni VII at about 20 watts out as that is adequate to drive the amp to about 200 watts of carrier or about 800 watts PEP.

Speaking of amps on AM. First one should tune the amp to full rated output using the TUNE mode typically at 100 watts and then switch to the AM mode on the radio. DO NOT change any tuning of the amp while in the AM mode. You still want the amp tuned for the rated PEP output even though the carrier level is 1/4 of that value. Remember it is a L I N E A R amp and should always be operated and tuned such it stays linear.

As to the Omni VII TX EQ........I don't care for the results. I prefer to choose and use a mike that sounds good and use good mike technique to get the best sound. Nothing external required.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "k6jek" <k6jek@comcast.net>