Re: [TenTec] In praise of older technology AM transmitwithTenTecrigs

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] In praise of older technology AM transmitwithTenTecrigs
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 16:21:58 -0500

On 2/27/2014 7:44 AM, Barry N1EU wrote:
As far as the menu ergonomics, if the Omni VII is anything like the Orion
(I believe it is), it's the easiest to use menu system I've ever
encountered on an hf radio.

                It is even easier.   The Orion has multiple
                menus broken up on logical groupings and has
                many more features, settings, and controls to
                futz with.   The Omni VI has something like
                45 +/- items in a single list you scroll through
                and can see like 18 items at a time.

                Piece of pie to operate.  If what you want does
                not have a dedicated button on the screen, then
                it is quickly found in the menu.

                My ONLY complaint is they did not group similar
                or related functions together as it would have
                been even easier had they put all Transmit
                controls in one block, skipped a line and put
                all receiver controls in another block, and
                maybe separated the CW specific controls in a
                third block,  and so on.  Use the one level
                menu or a button and multi-knob on the front
                panel.  Easy.

As far as the roofing filter - you really only need this IMHO if you're
doing cw contesting.

                Not sure I agree with some of the others who
                say roofing filters and etc. only matter in a
                contest or for CW.  I an NCS for a weekly
                Brand X transceiver owner's net, and there are
                times when stations crowd us on either side of
                our usual net frequency, and sometimes it is
                easier to pare down the pass band with the filter
                scheme until I cannot hear them on either side.
                This happens a lot, actually, either from some
                guy having a super wide signal 3 MHz above us,
                or if he is just 1.5 MHz below us... and (of
                course) he is always loud.  I am disinclined
                to slide up and ask him to QSY a skosh, so I
                just narrow the filters and drive on.  I am sure
                there is a better plan...but that usually works
                for me.

                So, unless I misunderstand the point, I think
                these things do matter in more mundane circumstances
                than contesting and crowded CW conditions.

                He said... donning his Teflon Suit...    ;-)   ;-)