Re: [TenTec] Any update on a replacement for the Orion II?

To: george fritkin <georgefritkin@yahoo.com>, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Any update on a replacement for the Orion II?
From: K8JHR <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2014 17:32:36 -0400

On 4/4/2014 8:32 PM, george fritkin wrote:
Some people like vanilla others like chocolate. Both are wonderful flavors

Hi George - While I appreciate and respect your take... your analogy falls a wee bit short of the mark. ;-)

If I showered my young bride with vanilla instead of chocolate on Valentine's Day ... well, let's just say I would start sleeping in the garage forthwith ...

Nevertheless, I appreciate your point, and recently tried out a Brand X rig and sold it off... because I purchased a MINT Orion II for less than the cost of an Omni VII - which I also own - so I echo Barry's suggestion to consider a well loved O II - I would have to spend a lot more on an equivalent K3, and except for the fabled third order intercept dynamic range thing, the Omni VII is way cooler than either the K3 or my former Brand X box. The TT gear has better audio, and substantially easier "modus operandi" - I really think I can find and change settings on the Omni VII way faster than on the Brand x boxes... and that might matter in a contest or when quickly working rare DX before the pileup ensues.

Just MY take. But... as you suggest... it is all good. Just a matter of what works for one may not work as well for another.

Happy days, OM.