Re: [TenTec] (ham station computer choice)

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] (ham station computer choice)
From: Mike K9UW <k9uw@wi-net.com>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2014 13:45:05 -0500

If your machine DOES come with all that crap on it, I suggest using
the "DeCrapifier", available for free (for personal use) at
http://pcdecrapifier.com/ [2] . It works well for removing unwanted
promotional software.

73, de Mike, K9UW
Amherst,
WI
http://k9uw.weebly.com [3]

On May 07, 2014, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP
wrote:

> There is no need to place yourself into that situation.

Simply buy a business computer from any of the good-name companies.

None of them put that software crap on their business computers.
> You
only find it on their consumer products which sell through Best Try.

Message-----
Behalf Of K8JHR
> Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2014 7:37 PM
> To: Discussion
of Ten-Tec Equipment
> Subject: Re: [TenTec] (ham station computer
choice)

> Hi Jim -- do a web crawl and search out sites which explain
how to run the
> box lean and mean and free from all those unnecessary
applets and utilities
> vendors install to give the impression you get a
lot for your money. Speech
> recognition enthusiasts are some of the
best at doing this because they know
> each applet open and running
consumes a time slice out of each processor
> cycle, robbing the
recognition engine of valuable calculation time. Kill as
> many as you
can to give your main applications more processor time.

> Also, there
are helpful utilities and ways to reduce the number of
> "services"
running under Windows. Many programs load all or part of
> their main
program on start up to give the illusion they start fast.
> You CAN
alter the boot up routine to prevent them from starting like that.
> One
way is to look in the "tray" (the little bunch of icons in the lower

right had corner on a Windows box) and enter the preferences for each,

closing or exiting as many of them as possible - hoping to find you can
keep
> them from starting every time you reboot. Remember, some of them
are not
> displayed on the Task Bar, but you may find them by activating
the little
> up-arrow button you find next to the clock (assuming it is
showing).

> A nice Saturday afternoon project ... searching out how
to do all this in

--------------------- K8JHR ------------------------------

5/7/2014 11:09 AM, Jim Allen wrote:

>> I just bought a Dell and
wonder how to test it for suitability, get rid of all the add on
nonsense. I'd be glad just to be up to speed on W7, actually, having put
off moving from XP for a long time while you computer geniuses handled
the beta testing.

Links:
------
[1]