Re: [TenTec] Eagle vs. TS-590S

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Eagle vs. TS-590S
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 17:33:21 +0200
The Eagle has a slightly better receiver, especially on the higher bands.
The ergonomics of the Kenwood are more typical of what most people are
familiar with.

Unfortunately Omnirig does not support the Eagle so you may find that some
contest logging packages are not fully compatible with it.  They will
probably still work in Orion2 mode, but with a couple of bugs.

The 3rd order IMD of the Kenwood is slightly better than the Eagle, but the
590 has broadband noise problems.  The Eagle has none.  This makes the Eagle
more suitable for using at multi TX sites.

The 590 'had' a problem with ALC power spikes on TX.  If you buy a new one,
the problem has been fixed.  If you buy a used one, it probably has this
problem.  This caused many of the modern linear amplifiers to trigger to
fault.  This is very annoying, but Kenwood will fix it for free if you are
the original owner.  Not sure of their policy for used rigs, but I have
heard it costs $200 for the mod.

Several people who have used both radios, including members of the Ten-Tec
group(s) preferred the ergonomics of the Kenwood better.
IMO this only makes a difference when you have several rigs and switch back
and forth a lot.
If you only use one rig, you quickly become accustomed to just about
anything.

Neither rig has band data available on the rear panel for switching external
switches such as antennas or band filters.  If you want that, you have to
spend a lot more money on the radio.

For running a linear amp in CW, the Kenwood has adjustable TX-delay and hang
time delay, each of the proper lengths (if you set the menu parameters
correctly).  The Eagle does not.  It is about 5mS too slow on TX-delay and
has no hang delay at all.  Unless you have a full QSK linear, you will need
to purchase the model 318 amp keyer - or for about $10 you can build it
yourself. OR use an external keyer which incorporates adjustable keying
delays, such as the WinKey - which is probably a good idea anyway if you are
into contesting.

FINALLY:  Ten-Tec owners are nicer people.  If you don't believe that, just
ask us!  ;-)

For my current needs, the Eagle is the best radio in the world.
Your mileage may vary.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)