Re: [TenTec] Eagle vs. TS-590S

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Eagle vs. TS-590S
From: Wade Staggs <tvman1954@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 13:29:56 -0500
Having used the TS-450 and the TS-590S, They are both decent radio's.
Bob/K4TAX sent me an Eagle to Test Drive for a Month or so. My regular rig
is a Paragon. Being accustomed to the almost Brick Wall performance of the
Filters and Noise Floor of the Paragon, The Eagle impressed me even more.
The Eagle has the Quietest Receiver that I have ever seen. To my Amazement,
The Auto Notch function will take a 20 over 9 Carrier/Tuner Upper out
completely. The 20 over Carrier will still register on the meter but, you
can hear your party on the other end through the Carrier. To sum up the
Receiver Performance, It is the closest thing to the R-4C Drake and the Tec
Tec Corsair that we have seen in a new radio. The Transmitter and whole
radio for that matter has a well designed Menu System. There is no direct
frequency entry but, you can move about really quickly in any band. I am
blessed to own the Paragon. But would love to be able to set an Eagle on my
operating desk. The Eagle receiver just pulls weak signals out of the noise
as if by Magic. And if, you can get the Eagle during this Super Sale, I
would highly recommend you take that route. Ten Tec Service and Support is
Legendary. There have been several occasions when we called the Service
Center while working on Ten Tec gear for others. They have always been very
helpful. Even to the point of just placing small parts in an envelope and
sending them to us Free of Charge. The Firmware Updates and Ten Tec Service
have convinced me that Ten Tec is the way to go..... Just listen to Any Ten
Tec Radio on the Air and then imagine that kind of Receiver Performance.
The Ten Tec Eagle is a Contest Grade Transceiver in a smaller case. Ham
Radio Deluxe made this rig even more flexible. Sorry for the long post. We
could go on about the Quality and Performance that we experienced with the
borrowed Eagle All Day. Sure hope we have helped you in your decision in a
positive way. I would be remiss if we didn't tell you that although the
Auto Tuner in the Eagle works quite well. Others have said that it tunes
slightly Slower than the KenYaecom Radio's. I never use an Auto Tuner. In
trying out the Eagles Auto Tuner, we found that it worked well on my 75
Meter Flat Top Dipole with Ladder Line Feed from 75-10 Meters. We did not
try the Tuner on 6 Meters.
.
                                                     73 my New Friend from
Wade/KJ4WS