Re: [TenTec] On Noisy Transmitters

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] On Noisy Transmitters
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2014 08:50:28 -1000
> Just for kicks, try this with an old analog radio. It would be very rare for it to have broadband noise because it has no synthesizer. Actually it can't have any, but maybe there is a way that I am >unaware of, so I'll just call it rare.

I'd find it interesting to know what the measurements for transmit noise are for older style radios. I suppose there would be about three types of transmitters to consider:

1) Crystal oscillator, multiplier, power amplifier rigs.
2) VFO, multiplier, PA.
3) Transmitters using an IF, with heterodyne conversions using a VFO and crystal oscillators to get to the output frequency.

My guess is that all of these configurations have very little wideband noise or phase noise. Any of them could have key clicks, which could be fixed with the right envelope shaping components. Any of them could have excessive harmonics, and the heterodyne conversion style could have various spurs from undesired mixes and images in the heterodyne conversion process. Any of them could mess up a whole band when operating in phone modes with the mic gain too high. Overall I would guess that every one of these old style rigs would have less "in the same ham band noise" than most new rigs. Thess kinds of measurements were seldom if ever made in product reviews back when those rigs were being manufactured. I wonder if some well equipped radio lab has collected any of this kind of data?

DE N6KB