[TenTec] On Noisy Transmitters

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] On Noisy Transmitters
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 07:30:08 -0500
Rick brings up a very good point on transmitter noise. It is something most users won't likely realize is something that does truly exist.

I find, with several I've measured, do produce wide band noise that is transmitted across the spectrum. Basically it is polluting our bands with noise, somewhat like one throwing trash out along the highway or leaving it in the city park.

I for one am glad to see RSGB does measure and report this. I wish ARRL would do the same. Of course it might affect their advertising revenue to report a certain brand and model radio is a broadband noise generator.

I've just finished a weekend operation at Field Day. Using the Eagle I found there was no noise generated when it went into transmit. {I already knew this as I had measured it on the bench, which is one reason I elected to use the radio.} To that end, I know, I had my spectrum analyzer sitting on the table. As to other radios operating at the Field Day sight, well I could see the noise floor rise when they transmitted. Some worse than others.

Many of the radio companies are "self certifying" thus indicated their product meets FCC specifications regarding purity of transmission. The question is "do they really meet the specification or just say they do?". I strongly suspect if many of these brands and models were evaluated by an independent testing lab, they would not meet the requirements an thus would not be legal to be sold or used in the US or other countries for that matter.

Be a good citizen, "Give a hoot and don't pollute".

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>