Re: [TenTec] On Noisy Transmitters

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] On Noisy Transmitters
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 00:40:35 +0200
Jim, you are totally correct and keying problems can be a problem for any
transmitter, whether analog or digital.
But that was not really what I was talking about.

At this point I will come out of my closet and say what I do for a living.
I'm the tech support manager (world-wide) for Spiderbeam antennas.
We supply various antennas to contest teams and DX-peditions, all over the
world (in over 130 countries).
We sponsor most DX-peditions and part of my job is helping them plan their
antennas.

But right here in Germany we had a new Multi-2 contest station claim there
was a problem with our Spiderbeam Yagi design. Their claim was, if they
would key either rig (in SSB) without even speaking into the mike, it
created an S7 to s9+ noise level in the other radio, regardless of which
band it was on, and it was worse if one of our beams (they had two
Spiderbeams) was pointing at the other.  (duh)
Somehow they felt our antennas were at fault.
My job of course was to prove it was not our antennas at fault and help find
the source of the problem.  Which I did.

After much discussion, I was able to persuade the contest team to swap out
both transceivers (TS-590s) with something else.  They replaced them with a
TS-850 and K2.  The problem vanished. GONE COMPLETELY! They then put the
TS-590s back in, one at a time and both totally wiped out the other station.
They sold both TS-590s.

Wayne explained what the problem was, though he wasn't aware of the actual
problem here in Germany.

This is ludicrous for a new radio on the market!  SHAME ON KENWOOD!
Would have been the same results with a pair of FT-3000's.

This has NEVER been the case with any Ten-Tec radio!
Nor with Elecraft radios!

This is the garbage I was referring to earlier.  DIRTY TRANSMITTERS!

CHEAP IS CHEAP, GUYS!  CHEAP JAP CRAP ISN'T WORTH THE MONEY YOU PAY FOR IT.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)