Re: [TenTec] On Noisy Transmitters

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] On Noisy Transmitters
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2014 13:33:38 -0700
On 7/6/2014 7:07 AM, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP wrote:
Cheap is cheap in more ways than most people realize.

YES! Wayne, N6KR, talked about phase noise and what he did to minimize it. In a different email (can't find it right now), he talked about what he did to minimize clicks.

Clicks are generated by rise times that are too fast combined with intermod distortion. Think of CW as an amplitude modulated carrier, where the modulation is a square wave. A square wave consists of an infinite number of harmonics. The faster the rise (and fall) time, the more harmonics, and the higher order harmonics will be stronger. Those harmonics, then, interact with IM distortion to produce sidebands. Those sidebands are the clicks. That analysis is mine.

What Wayne said (I'm paraphrasing) is that he developed optimal shaping for the square wave that minimizes those harmonics while still providing nice, distinct keying at high speeds. If I remember correctly, he called it "sigmoidal," after the mathematical name for the function that he used. He noted that it takes a lot of DSP cycles to do that, as well as a lot of programming, and that when you're doing that, there are other things you cannot do because you've dedicated the DSP to that function.

The point is that Wayne and Eric made the design and marketing decision that having a very clean TX signal was the highest priority. I don't know much about the current Ten Tec rigs, but I do know that when Al Kahn was around, that was also a very high priority for Ten Tec.

73, Jim K9YC