Re: [TenTec] Scout has vy low Pwr out on some bands

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Scout has vy low Pwr out on some bands
From: K8JHR <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 09:47:45 -0400
Eek... I would be careful with metal cleaners. As I recall, Tarn-X and the like often leave a film, and residue, etc., that is hard to get out of cracks, crevices, and other small areas, despite it claiming to be apply-and-rinse easy to use.. It is made with Thiourea and Salfamic Acid, a rather caustic aqueous acid product. While it might remove some oxidation, it could also damage the other materials inside the device, such as plastics, insulating phenolic wafers and similar materials.

The Tar-x Product Data Sheet says:

        Restrictions on Use:
        Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents, acids,
        bases, and bleach. Do not use on stainless steel,
        chrome, pewter, aluminum, brass, zinc, marble,
        pearls, opals, and other porous stones.

Rick -- You are obsessing over this. Why not stop now, when you can, and it still works. I really believe in the adage: "If you fix something long enough, eventually you will break it." Anyone who has stripped a screw over-tightening it knows this is true. If the Scout cartridge works full power out, why not just stop there and call it good. Clean what you can easily reach, and stop, or you may reap the balance of the adage, and eventually break it. If it is working... close it up and call CQ on it.

As for the bond paper... even though you have a 'lot of GRIT", I doubt you would write your Will on sand paper... ;-)

Just MY take.