Re: [TenTec] Where is TEN-TEC today?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Where is TEN-TEC today?
From: Dave Edwards <kd2e@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 18:38:07 -0400
Will the big sale be annual? If so, I'll start saving my paper route money now for next year!!

....Dave

On 7/27/14, 6:15 PM, John Henry wrote:
We are working, designing new products, recovering from a MASSIVE sale,
man, think of how difficult it is to ramp up from xx units sold per month
to xxxx units sold per month, the parts procurement pipeline is a super
headache. But, we are handling it, getting new parts in, and will continue
to make production, and exceed sales of the past year or two or three
or.....

To all the naysayers, that is ok, there will always be people uncomfortable
with certain activities. Totally understandable. And yes, I need to
see/hear from them. If we at TEN-TEC didn't? well, we would be closing our
eyes to what customers see/feel, and closing our eyes on our own future.

Getting rid of core activities within TEN-TEC (sheet metal, tool/die, etc.)
yes, will bite us some, but, we can focus all expenditures on getting new
products out, not maintaining 20 year old equipment that would require huge
expenditure just to keep them running now. When the alternative is to get
rid of those business areas and pay a small bit higher price for each item
now. A MUCH more economical solution than the maintenance upkeep on them.
Same is said for the building.
And no, the income from these two lines of businesses specifically sheet
metal and tool and die did NOT float TEN-TEC at times, they were NOT money
makers. Just a service we could provide to others outside TEN-TEC, keep
capacity moving on them, and the outside service just paid for itself, it
was NOT a windfall, otherwise we would have DEFINITELY kept them. Simple
economic decisions on these activities.

TEN-TEC is moving, growing stronger, and with renewed focus on what today's
hams are asking for, we will leap frog our competition in function,
feature, etc in the coming years. This is not an overnight thing, but,
building up a cash flow such as we are building now, and project to
continue at a high rate after this sale is over, we will build an
infrastructure that will slowly take TEN-TEC to the top, and yes, compete
with the non-USA big three. I'm convinced, otherwise I would not be here
today.

TEN-TEC is always approachable, regardless of what anyone says on here. I
get dozens of emails a day from people on this reflector and the yahoo
groups that want answers and not the ripping apart they get when asking
seemingly naive questions that some get on public forums. I help where I
can, send them to service when I don't know the answer, but, we are ALL
approachable here.

Jack Burchfield would read this and other forums, and when necessary he
would send individuals personal emails on their questions. He was very
active in helping customers. So, our OWNER also did the same. I can think
of dozens of times he/I discussed people's inputs on here, and he himself
answered, or he had me answer, depending upon who had the expertise. But,
we don't answer a lot because there are so many highly qualified people on
here that do help. Bob McGraw, Rick, Jim, etc. (don't get pissed if I
didn't mention your name, you ALL are very valuable you ALL make the
TEN-TEC family STRONG).

Guys/Gals, TEN-TEC is growing in strength, knowledge, etc.. I don't know
how active the RFConcepts owner will be, but, it doesn't mean you guys are
slighted in anyway.

The merger with Alpha has brought some EXTREMELY active and knowledgeable
hams into the fold that can give direct inputs that will make the next big
flagship a killer. mark my words.

I may get testy with someone on here at time, but my heart is in the right
spot, make the product better, listen to the bemoaners and bitchers, yes,
because if someone is upset, fine, we need to hear it, why, how was it
resolved, or not, etc. It only makes the products better.

Now, with all of the above said, if ya want a rig, get it today. If you
want a K3, then go get it, it is a fantastic rig. I promote it above
anything else non-TEN-TEC. If you want an Eagle, then get it now. TEN-TEC
will continue to develop new rigs, work with Alpha on amps, etc. and create
new products in the years to come. New features for existing rigs for the
years to come.

Granted, obsolescence is something that may someday kill some existing
products, but, we do our best to try to ensure that is taken care of when
parts end of life comes up. And trust me, we see a new end of life part
once every, well, 2 mos on all of our products, but we always find a way
and a replacement. Unfortunately, too many of them spelled the death of the
current Orion series. But, wait....

done for the day, heading home, tried to hit the TEN-TEC nets today, but
the bands I was on when I had a chance were so bad I don't think a 9500
would have penetrated into my radio.....

Thanks, and 73,
John Henry, KI4JPL
TEN-TEC Engineering, a Division of RFConcepts LLC