Re: [TenTec] RADIO COMPARISONS

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RADIO COMPARISONS
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 21:30:59 -0700
On 7/27/2014 6:38 PM, Jim Lowman wrote:
Harry, often a member of the list is weighing which transceiver to buy across brands, where the specs are reasonably equal.

As any comparative study of ARRL Lab tests will show (what I've done so far was less than 16 hours of my time), specifications of modern radio gear are almost completely meaningless. A manufacturer's "specs" will tell you operating ranges, power output, usually current draw at rated power, dimensions, weight, and list a bunch of features. In other words, it's a SALES brochure.

I have yet to see performance specifications for any of the fundamental parameters measured by ARRL, all of which define HOW WELL the rig works -- how well the RX deals with strong signals, how good the filters are, how clean the TX is.

73, Jim K9YC