Re: [TenTec] RADIO COMPARISONS

To: TenTec reflector <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RADIO COMPARISONS
From: art N4UC <n4uc@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 13:05:52 -0500
I agree with your last two statements Ed, and I'd be right there with you. But
based on all the comments I've seen here about where Ten Tec is and where it's
going, I don't think it's gonna happen, for me anyway.

I'm not a QRP guy or an experimenter, and I don't understand how open
architecture can help me work more DX or
increase my scores in my favorite contests. So, as a great philosopher once
said, "When you come to a fork in the road, take it". TT is now apparently
heading down a different path than the one I am on.  I've kept a close eye on
this reflector to try and glean some hint about which market TenTec intends to
capture and expand into. I've been hoping it would be to introduce another
full-featured Orion-class HF transceiver with a 2nd rcvr, big knobs and
display, separate AF/RF gain controls, etc...  so I would have reason to keep
repairing my ailing Orion until a replacement became available. But if the
latest offerings are any indication, it appears my only hope for staying with a
TenTec radio is to look for a good used Orion II. Not a bad option by any means
as it would still be the best radio for the money, but at my age (59) it would
be nice to purchase a new radio. I haven't had a new radio since I bought my
TS-940 in 1988 which, by the way,  is still going strong!

At $500-$600 a pop plus shipping for repairs, it's becoming very hard to
justify keeping the Orion going very much longer. Time's a wastin'!

73, Art/N4UC