Re: [TenTec] Centurion and AM

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Centurion and AM
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2014 20:19:31 -0500
Tune for maximum output with about 100 watts of carrier from the TS-590. CW mode, key down should do this. Be sure and keep the grid current and plate current at or below maximum rated values at all times. This should produce about 1100 to 1300 watts output. When you switch to AM, the carrier should automatically drop to about 25 watts. This should produce about 250 watts carrier output. If the output is a bit higher, I would reduce drive a bit more to say 20 watts. Do not change any tuning values on the amp after the initial tuning at 100 watts and maximum output.

Remember that 25 watts of carrier modulated 100% is 100 watts PEP. Therefore, 250 watts of carrier modulated 100% is 1000 watts PEP. Although the Centurion is rated at 1200 watts PEP, the lesser value is more correct in as much as compression begins to take place somewhere between 1100 and 1300 watts output. Thus 250 watts carrier for AM is a much safer value and assures proper linearity. Plus with a grounded grid linear amp, the drive power is in phase with the output so the total output contains the value derived by the amp gain plus the driving power.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Timothy Johnston" <timothy.f.johnston@gmail.com>