Re: [TenTec] Zepp?

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Zepp?
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 09:26:14 +0200
You are a LUCKY man, Rodney.

Take it on the road, using a different feedline length each time (each new
QTH) and you will run into problems.

Here is why it is working on 160m:
Normally the impedance would be very low under that situation.
A quarter wavelength of transmission line would transform it back to high.
A quarter wavelength of openwire (assuming Wireman type) is about 208 ft.
Your 182 ft. of feedline is close enough to a quarter wavelength that it is
transforming the impedance up into the range that the tuner can match.  In
fact any length between 1/8 and 3/8 wavelength is going to transform it up
higher.

Most of the time my feedline lengths have been between 50 ft. and 75 ft.
long.
That probably would not have worked.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)