Re: [TenTec] Zepp?

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Zepp?
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 09:34:09 +0200
Another good point Gus.  "Switchable baluns."
I wanted to mention that too but you pulled the trigger faster!

You can easily build two 1:1 choke baluns on two different cores.
Use larger cores for more power.
Use bifilar 100 Ohm windings.

The TX side of each is always wired in parallel.
The ANT side of the two can be easily switched in parallel for 50 Ohms or in
series for 200 Ohms.
This gives you the best of both worlds. But there is a catch.

Also, the matching range of all Elecraft automatic tuners is outstanding
compared to most other tuners.

What works just as well is to always use a 1:1 choke balun (Guanella) and
the have the option to insert a 4:1 voltage balun between the choke balun
and the antenna.  THIS WORKS EVEN BETTER than the switchable balun under
high SWR condx.  This only becomes apparent when running high power.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)