Re: [TenTec] Zepp?

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Zepp?
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 20:55:35 -0500
I been puzzled by the most frequent and most common uses of the 4:1 balun. It seems that hams believe necessary to use a balanced feed system, open wire line and such that they must employee a 4:1 balun. Most oversight is that we are not matching the line but matching the load. The transmission line has the task of transferring the energy from the source to the load. However at certain wavelengths the transmission line can serve as some form of impedance transformation network.

The best example where I see correctly used a 4:1 balun is for feeding a folded dipole. In this case, depending on height above ground, a HF folded dipole presents about a 200 to 275 ohm load. Thus a 4:1 balun at the end of the feedline presents a 50 to 70 ohm load to the transmitter. The SWR on the line, being 300 ohm line is very close to ~1.2:1 and for a 450 ohm line very close to ~2:1 and for a 600 ohm line about ~3:1.

A horizontal 1/2 wave dipole at about 0.25 {1/4}wavelength above average earth will have a feed impedance of 75 ohms while with it a bit higher near 0.34 {1/3}wavelength the center Z rises to near 100 ohms. Closer to ground at about 0.125 {1/8} wavelength the Z drops to about 30 ohms. The effect of height on the radiation resistance of a horizontal 1/2 wave antenna is not drastic so long as the height of the antenna is greater the 0.2 wavelength.

Do keep in mind that a 4:1 balun is acting much like a transformer and the above Z values will be thusly divided by 4. Many tuners become quite lossy at impedances near 5 to 10 ohms which could be the Z presented to the tuner after the 4:1 balun. i.e. 30 ohms / 4 = 7.5 ohms

And yes a balun can have a ratio of 1:1 thus balanced on side and unbalanced on the other. Or a 4:1 balun can be balanced on one side and unbalanced on the other in this case, using a 50 ohm source and a 4:1 balun we could have 200 ohm on the {4} side and 50 ohms on the {1} or working as a 1:4 balun 50 ohms on {4} side and 12.5 ohms on the {1} side. A balun doesn't care which is input and which is output.

I have encountered antenna conditions where a 4:1 ratio was needed on one band and a 1:4 ratio needed on another band. The solution was simple, just turn the balun around.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Augie "Gus" Hansen" <augie.hansen@comcast.net>