Re: [TenTec] Zepp?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Zepp?
From: "Augie \"Gus\" Hansen" <augie.hansen@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 20:29:10 -0600

On 9/13/2014 7:55 PM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:
I been puzzled by the most frequent and most common uses of the 4:1 balun. It seems that hams believe necessary to use a balanced feed system, open wire line and such that they must employee a 4:1 balun. Most oversight is that we are not matching the line but matching the load.

Hi Bob,

For the record, I have a doublet that is in the inverted vee configuration, cut to 100 feet per side. It is feed via open wire (~600 Ohm) parallel line (nominally balanced) down the tower and to the eaves, with a shorter run of window line (~400 Ohms) under the eves to a DXE 1:1 current balun (I prefer to call it a choke) at the back of the house. There is then an eight foot run of RG213 coax into the basement-located shack to an Elecraft KAT500 auto tuner. I use this on all bands from 80m to 20m. It can tune up through 6m, but I have other antennas for those bands. And I shunt feed my tower for 160m ops.

I don't normally use a 4:1 or 1:4 balun, and was only responding to your question about semantics in my previous post. Elecraft sells a nice low-power balun that is switchable as 1:1 or 4:1. I have used it for field/portable ops, but it's usually set to 1:1 for the antennas I use (44' or 88' doublet).

73,
Gus