Re: [TenTec] New Radios in the Future

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New Radios in the Future
From: HamOperator <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2014 05:09:17 -0500
Rick -- Why not set the rig control software window to full screen view... then minimize it to the task bar until you really want it ... and maximize it for a moment, make any changes or check any information you need, and minimize when you want to restore to your usual multi-window logging view. You don't need to have the computer control view up all the time... but it could be there when and if you ever want it. If not, it just coasts along in the background, as if it was closed... yet available instantly if you desire.

So, why would you want to this in the first place? OK, say for example, I want to use N4PY to manage the way the rig sends band and frequency and mode information to my logging program, and to manage other devices, such as an auto tuner, rotator, and so forth. I can modify the radio with the computer, if I like, and I minimize N4PY until I need it, yet it will manage the information sharing in the background. The logger will use it, and so will the tuner and rotator, and I will usually adjust tuning, bandwidth, passband, NR, and other stuff from the front panel of the radio OR from N4PY if I maximize it. That way, you can have your usual logging view AND occasionally have computer based rig data and control if you want it, and N4PY seems very stable and good a managing the rig data to all the peripheral devices.

That could give you computer control, if and when you want it, and you give up nothing on your usual display.

N'est ce pas ?