[TenTec] Future Radios - Knobs!

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Future Radios - Knobs!
From: "Tom Mandera" <tsm1@tmcom.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 08:59:11 -0700
We already have CI-V and a few other variations of the same thing.

A single standard would be fantastic to opening up a new market..

we have SDR.  They require a computer.  Computers no longer have knobs
like some of us prefer, but we have a GUI with a picture of a knob or a
slider and a mouse to turn it.

Step 1) we need a USB "VFO" (hmm.. perhaps we embrace "gaming controllers"
with analog inputs - or a steering wheel controller from a driving game -
there's your big VFO knob!) and then some additional rotary encoder inputs
for volume, RF-gain, and so forth.

Plug multiple "USB knobs" together (gang them) to make a console.

Lock each knob to an "input" to the SDR software so you can still use the
mouse, or you can spin the knob.

Set it up with the computer, then hide the computer behind the desk and
pretend it isn't there.

..because once the inputs are solved, the next evolution is something that
resembles a metal enclosure with a bunch of the "USB knobs" ganged
together, with a Raspberry Pi tucked in the back.

Now you can pretend there's no computer in the mix.

If we had a single standard for rig control (CI-V and whatever the other
options are) you have a single product that could be used on multiple
radios.

Need a remote VFO for your Orion?  Here you go.

Like that K3 but hate the small box and lack of knobs?  Here you go.

Want to try a Flex but can't stand the absence of knobs entirely?  Here
you go.

What's the difference between a TenTec Pegasus and a TenTec Jupiter?

You could try all of this with a micro-controller, but micro-computers are
cheap enough and you can do it as an incremental solution to prove it out
before you commit.

-Tom
KE7VUX
TT Scout