Re: [TenTec] New Radios in the Future

To: n4py3@earthlink.net, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New Radios in the Future
From: TT fan <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2014 18:02:17 -0500
Exactly Carl.

That was Rick's initial point  and it still valid.  Perhaps the take
away point from this thread is what he said first, that radios of
the future may be more computer based, but we may see more
and varied forms of knobs and controls added in various formats
and layouts.   Based on his vision, I can imagine buying an SDR
from Company A,  and a separate interface of some kind from
Company B or maybe from Company C to interface with the
computer.   Perhaps a new business model is in store... SDRs
from one mfr and various interfaces from multiple mfrs.

We see this in computer recording products.   One purchases a
computer,  and then selects two things:   A)  a preferred software
package,  and B)  a preferred hardware recording surface (console)
as a physical interface with knobs and buttons.  Perhaps such
a business model would suit future radio sales.    Under this scenario,
there would be multiple Woodbox T products... one with one knob
and X buttons,   another with two knobs and Y buttons, and even
a third with a big knob, three or four smaller knobs, and XX buttons,
and it would compete with similar products from other companies.

This is what I took from Rick's first point and I think it is
entirely consistent with your statements, below.  And I think
it would work.

Picture buying a remote rig like a K3 from Elecraft, but buying an
operating head from TT,  or a black box Eagle from TT, and a
remote head designed and manufactured by YOU and JERRY H
with your programming, and his build design.   I think TT was
thinking this very sort of thing when it came out with the Arduino
based kits.   It makes a black box starter unit, and hams invent
all the rest.