Re: [TenTec] Orion II Questions

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion II Questions
From: Barry N1EU <barry.n1eu@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 06:08:27 -0500
There are obviously different schools of AGC thought.  I am solidly in the
wide audio dynamic range, low AGC compression school.  Perhaps K3NA wrote
the book about 5-7 years ago on why you want this and how to do it.  W4ZV
and I also actively contributed to the forum discussions going on at that
time.  Googling will turn up plenty of info.  The link I posted previously
to the wiki article touches on it.  If you ever have to sort through
signals in a pileup, it is fundamentally necessary to set up the radio this
way.  If you're just casually rag chewing, it doesn't really matter what
you do, as long as it sounds pleasant to YOUR ears.  But low AGC
compression also results in a received voice sounding more natural by not
covering up inflections in speech amplitude.  It also means you don't get
that annoying rush of band noise every time there's a pause in the signal
or between signals.  I could go on and on, but it's probably not an issue
of huge importance to the majority of hams.

73, Barry N1EU