Re: [TenTec] Orion II Questions

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion II Questions
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 17:13:39 -0500
Good stuff. So, I suppose I am nuts for turning AGC off, and working the RF-GAIN control?

I understand Rob Sherwood, among others, have problems with local noise causing issues with AGC on the Omni VII and other radios - a strong local noise event causes AGC to silence the rig for a moment. This can be somewhat annoying, not to mention inconvenient. So, I simply turn AGC off and operate without it.

Is AGC really a boon, or necessary feature, ...or merely a convenience saving us from tweaking the knobs during a contact. Some guys don't use DSP NR... obviously we do not always embrace newer, high tech features. ;-) ;-)

Am I out of step here?

As for actual plots, that would be interesting... I think TT provides a a brief explanation of the AGC functions in the manual and in documentation supporting the more recent firmware, but I found it a bit terse and technical - not all ham operators are engineers, so I would appreciate a less technical gloss thereon.