Re: [TenTec] Eagle 9MHz tap questions.

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Eagle 9MHz tap questions.
From: Carl Moreschi <n4py3@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 09:00:34 -0500
Inside the Eagle that I have which like yours is a very early one, there's a cable labelled #2 that runs from to the Eagle receiver. This cable is perfect for picking up the receive signal to the Eagle receiver and sharing it with another radio such as a panadapter radio. If your Eagle already has a preamp out and back in, then you can take a Y cable that has two male RCA plugs and a female RCA jack and connect the two males to the preamp out and preamp in connections. Then connect the female RCA jack with an RCA cable to the antenna connection of the second receiver.

If you don't already have the preamp out and in, you get a second TMP cable from tentec, cut it and splice in a third connection to make an internal Y cable. This modifed cable would replace the TMP cable #2 that is in the Eagle. That way you can easily remove the mod. This would then give you a second receiver antenna connection. This is exactly what I am doing with my Eagle to use my Hermes transceiver board as a panadapter with the Eagle. This works great.

Yes, there is a 3 db drop in sensitivity this way but the noise also drops by 3 db so the signal to noise does not change.

This mod is equivalent to the preamp out and in for the Omni VII that Rick asked Tentec to add in way back when the Omni VII was being designed.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
58 Hogwood Rd
Louisburg, NC 27549
www.n4py.com