Re: [TenTec] Looks like company is fading away

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Looks like company is fading away
From: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 10:13:24 -0600 (CST)
Why was the Centurion dropped?

1.  Sales had dropped to the point that keeping the product in production was
no longer economically feasible
2.  Certain critical parts are no longer available.
2a.  Haven't there been general complaints about the quality of available
quality high-power amplifier tubes, the last few months?
3.  A new amplifier will be replacing it in the lineup, but the new amplifier
isn't ready yet.
3a.  That new amplifier might be labeled an Alpha amp.  Or might not.
4.  The company is retrenching, cutting back, about to fold.

Well now.  Items 1, 2, and 3 are all very plausible.  Item 4?  Not so
plausible.  Oh, not impossible, I grant you.  But with the amount of backlog
they currently have, since the "summer" or "moving" sales did so overwhelmingly
well... I have my doubts.

And yet, some automatically go to Item 4 and presume the worst.

Now, WRT the Orion 2, we know that Item 2 was the primary cause of the end of
the line.  Will there ever be an Orion 3 or equivalent?  Time will tell.

Having used an Orion 2 (and an Orion) in the past, as well as an Eagle, and as
the current owner of an Omni VII... I have no doubts that Ten-Tec can come up
with a new high-end radio to take the place of the Orion/Orion 2.  Will they?
I'm sure that if they feel the market will bear such a rig, and at a cost to
the consumer that is not out of hand, and let's them make some money... they
will.

We shall see.

73, ron w3wn