Re: [TenTec] OMNI 5 GOES DEAD ON 40

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OMNI 5 GOES DEAD ON 40
From: geoffrey mendelson <geoffreymendelson@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 15:19:31 +0200
On 2/11/2015 2:59 PM, Kim Elmore wrote:
I have: You can't access the proper leads externally. It's a PITA.

The ones I rebuilt were standard plastic covered SRAM chips with a battery soldered on top and then potted in a brittle plastic. I found that the best way to get to the battery was to chip away at the brittle plastic from the top corner with a pair of diagonal cutting pliers. Then you could cut the leads off the battery and solder a new one in it's place. I did not have access to batteries with welded leads, so I got pretty good at soldering wires to them. I used to leave them uncovered, but now I would cover them in Surgu.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson 4X1GM/N3OWJ
Jerusalem Israel.