Re: [TenTec] good external noise blanker?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] good external noise blanker?
From: "Vic Klein" <vhklein@ptd.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 07:02:51 -0500
I have a very recent O7 and I assume you mean the NR not the NB? That
function works pretty well for me, better than the built in DSP NR on my
Yaesu radio, but frankly not as good as the external audio DSP I used on my
Paragon. There I have an NCT noise reduction unit, which is the DSP that was
sold as a "Clearspeech" speaker and still is available through West
Mountain, I think. It is almost invisible, barely coloring the voices, while
being very effective with hetrodynes, atmospheric and vehicle QRM. Out in
the country I rarely have tried the NB function in the O7, but it seems
pretty good, too. Both it and the NR do add artifacts to the voices,
especially at higher levels, though. Likewise the AN function, which will
eliminate hetrodynes but add some effects to voices. How the NCT guys did
all this with almost no effects on voices is amazing to me.

=Vic=
WA4THR