Re: [TenTec] Using a Mac to install OMNI VII firmware

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Using a Mac to install OMNI VII firmware
From: "Wes Attaway (N5WA)" <wes@attawayforensics.com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 08:45:41 -0600
This is a long shot, but for some of you who don't mind fiddling with stuff there are some USB-to-serial adapters for the Mac available from a number of sources. Here is one good link that I found:

http://plugable.com/2011/07/12/installing-a-usb-serial-adapter-on-mac-os-x

There is a good tutorial.  The adapter costs $14.95.

Now, I think you will have to take a look at the program used to load the firmware. It would probably need to be rewritten to handle the transfer via the Mac. Whether this can be done or not, I do not know.

As I said, this is just an idea for any of you who might want to do some experimenting.

One thing is for sure, and that is that there are a number of ways to achieve a COM port on a Mac. Getting it to "talk" via whatever software you have to use is where the fun starts.

---
Wes Attaway (N5WA)
Shreveport, LA
Computer/Cellphone Forensics