Re: [TenTec] Dayton

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Dayton
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2015 21:49:25 -0700
On Sat,5/16/2015 3:04 PM, Duane Calvin wrote:
What's different in the K3S from the K3?

Here's my take on it, after studying what Elecraft says on their website. (I didn't go to Dayton).

New I/O board, solving a shortcoming with the original K3 and adding USB control and audio I/O via USB, new Synthesizer board, making a significant improvement in phase noise and also making the RX work very down to 100 kHz. Improved audio from the speaker. Integrated RX preamp improves performance on 6M, 10M, 12M.

The original K3 needed an outboard preamp for 6M, and the ARR GasFET I bought in 2004 also helps on 10M. The new preamp solves that, and is built in. The original K3 was best of class for phase noise in 2008 when it was introduced, but some of the newest radios were better. The new Synth board puts it back in the lead. This matters mostly in contesting, and in multi-transmitter setups like Field Day.

The Synth board and I/O board are low cost add-ons for the K3. So for about $420, I can bring a 7 year old radio up to 90% of the new K3. Add $210 if you have the 2nd RX. It took 20 minutes to trade the new Synth board for the old one. I have the I/O board on order.

To put this in perspective, the Synth board upgrade alone is roughly like upgrading from the Orion to the Orion II, and it costs $210, $420 if you have the second RX.

73, Jim K9YC