Re: [TenTec] Eagle and Zero Beating

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Eagle and Zero Beating
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 12:37:59 -0700
On Thu,7/23/2015 8:25 AM, Barry N1EU wrote:
Another issue is that it's more likely that guys are running dsp brick wall
narrow filtering today than in years past and they might need you to be on
their frequency to hear you.

I don't think it has anything to do with DSP or analog. I nearly always used narrow crystal filters for CW in my Omni V+, TS850, Elecraft K2, and FT1000MP. I think it comes down to two things. First, failure of the operator to learn to use his radio. RTFM! Second, when contesting, it's good practice to call a bit off frequency. When there are multiple callers, many of them zero beat, what the CQing station hears can be close to a steady carrier, making it hard for him to copy anyone. And, if you're the only one a bit off, you'll make the contact.

What I find really dumb is a guy with a lousy antenna or running QRP to call off frequency when there's no one else calling. What happens is that I need to screw the IF down real tight to pull his weak signal out of the mud, so if he's far enough off frequency my filter rejects him. Often someone is WAY off frequency, I'll ignore him hoping that he'll get the message.

73, Jim K9YC