Re: [TenTec] Corsair II weak weak receive

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Corsair II weak weak receive
From: Stuart Rohre <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2015 14:25:11 -0500
Since one transistor position has the same incorrect voltage on all leads, I would look for a short. It might be solder splash on the under device side of the board. It might be a faulty coupling capacitor to a collector on a previous stage. A leaky or shorted cap could be delivering a higher voltage than normal to the base of the stage you have replaced.

Incidentally, seldom do variable caps go bad sitting in a circuit, if this one is a calibration rotor and plates, set and forget type. There are some faults that can develop in a trimmer type cap, but it was not explained what class of variable this is. Stator and rotor multiple plate capacitors may rarely get shorted by a stray wire fragment from other repair / construction, landing between plates. Mechanical faults in larger variables include loss of ball bearings; frame loosening, to the extent rotor and stator start to rub and short out; and wear problems where spring contacts lose connectivity to the rotor plate assembly. But all pretty rare.

Another thought came to mind. You may have a compound stage with the two transistors, and one is PNP and the other NPN. Are you sure the transistor has been returned to the proper socket in each case, and you have the leads alignment correct re Collector and base and emitter, for each of the two transistors? Many DVMs include a Beta checker position on the scales of the meter, and out of circuit, you could verify the transistors from these two positions exhibit useful gain.

Other rare problems are if a transistor lead breaks internally to the plastic case, or header of the transistor.

Another idea is to look on the schematic for other stages arranged with two transistors similar to the one you are testing. Use the as found voltages on other working stages to judge what differential you should find on the EBC of the pair of transistors. Most base terminals are going to normally be 0.25- 0.5 to 0.6 Volt higher than the emitter when amplifying normal signal levels.

I think early on, someone mentioned checking for correct DC bus rail voltages feeding the stages.

On radios this old, if there are carbon composition resistors, larger values may drift much higher over time.
I have seen a 1 meg resistors got to 10 megohms, which really caused
a weak signal in a TV gain chain!

If you suspect resistor troubles, fire up the circuit for a period of time, then measure the heating, (or non heating) of resistors around the malfunctioning circuit. Right after powering down but before everything cools, measure the resistance of individual resistors.
You may see the value changing back to normal on one, before your eyes.

Since this gain problem seems close to the front end of the radio, consider if the radio was left connected to an antenna before the fault appeared. You may have suffered static discharge damage, which can take out semicondutors, but also front end antenna and band coils. I infer that the gain problem is on all bands. I think someone mentioned to check any antenna switching if included on the back panel of the radio. But the biggest clue that stands out to me are the similar voltages on all pins of that one transistor.

Good Luck,
Stuart Rohre
K5KVH