Re: [TenTec] Way Off Topic, But...

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Way Off Topic, But...
From: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2015 21:30:26 -0600
I don't want to use up very much bandwidth with this, so here's what I've learned. First off: there are no other bulbs burned out on the string. I have two strings daisy-chained together (max limit is three). The plugs are fused such that the fuses will blow with four strings daisy-chained together.

There has to be a difference in cold resistance of the replacement bulbs. The cold filament resistance of a tungsten is always a small fraction of the operating (hot) resistance. The same thing applies with large vacuum tube filaments in our amplifiers, which is why the inrush current is limited. Any tungsten filament will behave in the same way. In this case, the cold resistance of the bulb that fails immediately must be *higher* than the other bulbs because that's the only it can experience a higher voltage when power is first applied.

So, I measured the cold resistance of the working bulbs in the string. They measure 2.5 ohms cold. The replacement bulbs measure 3.7 ohms cold. That much of the mystery is solved. I have never, ever, seen anything but an operating voltage and current or power rating for any incandescent bulbs. I had no idea bulb engineering extended to the cold resistance, but it apparently does. I wonder what the starting resistance tells us about the filament design?

I don't have a solution to the problem, but I at least understand why it's happening.

73 & MX,

Kim N5OP

--

Kim Elmore, Ph.D. (Adj. Assoc. Prof., OU School of Meteorology, CCM, PP SEL/MEL/Glider, N5OP, 2nd Class Radiotelegraph, GROL)

/"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." //– Attributed to many people; it’s so true that it doesn’t matter who said it./