Re: [TenTec] Way Off Topic, But...

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Way Off Topic, But...
From: Stuart Rohre <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2015 14:13:41 -0600
Kim, and the group,
This is a problem I think all of us who put up Holiday tree lights experience at one time or another.

After several years of helping a non ham friend with her tree lights, I confirmed what had my suspicions up.

This tree came with a multiple AC outlet cable wrapped around the tree trunk. Disconnect points were where the sections of the tree plug together. Standard import 120 volt two prong sockets and plugs with one side wider than the other to preserve polarization.

She kept losing strings up and down the tree. One time they would work, next year they did not. She bought more strings and simply overlaid new strings by used the plugs on them to piggyback on top of the outlets ie two strings into each other's plug and one of those into the main outlet cord.

This year, I put an AC voltmeter on the factory cord wrapped around the tree. It indicated about 3 volts! Further, the quality or lack of it in the two prong string plugs means you should not piggy back two plugs into one extension cord receptacle. I told them not to use the factory cord or wrap ANY AC cord around a tree trunk, even on these artificial trees.

Cleaning up the wiring, after tracing the strings left from year to year, we got a set of good lights, using several drop cords to balance out the loads. The cords were run vertical, close to the trunk but on the back side of the tree, and I advised, NO WRAPPING cords around the tree!

I also did one more step in trouble shooting. The plugs on the factory strings of lights have a shutter on one side of each plug that covers two tiny cartridge fuses, one in each side of the AC line. These are behind the prongs of the string plug. While some looked like they were not fully seated level, they all checked out good using an ohm meter with the AC plug pulled from any others and AC shore power.
Carefully FULLY close the shutter on each fuse compartment after testing.

I have changed very few of the miniature bulbs over many years of use, in both my trees and friends'. Usually the blinking strings are the first ones to burn out a bulb. No doubt due to off-on surges.

Hope this solves someone's frustration. Sometimes you can bend the flat prongs to get a better grip on its mating socket, but I Have had to take flat blade screwdrivers and bend the receptacle contacts closer to each other as well.

-Stuart Rohre
K5KVH