[TenTec] SDR Vs. TT, et al

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] SDR Vs. TT, et al
From: Greg S via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2015 14:31:52 +0000 (UTC)
“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.”
~anon.

I am a simple guy, and I think that where the "rubber meets the road" is what
matters. I postulate the following: Make a QUALITY digital recording at the
station with a GOOD Flex 6700 set up, of an ACTUAL CW QSO with strong signals,
at speeds of   xxWPM using QSK. Make sure the side tone volume and the received
volume are about equal. Use a recording device SEPARATE from the computer used
for  the Flex--- and have the AGC of that recording device is turned off. I
think many options exist to do this. Post the results of this file, and a link
to that file. WE CAN USE OUR EARS to determine if the performance is up to our
standards. THAT is what REALLY matters...... in MY opinion. Do the same from an
Eagle, or an Orion, or a K3, et al.......Let's compare REALITY.   - (See
leading quote above).

A couple more tidbits as food for thought:

How many top 10 contest finishers are currently using a Flex OR ANAN to place
in the top 10 in the contest? (Someone said the 6700 is "Contest Ready" .....
so is my Corsair II, but I doubt anyone is finishing in the top 10 using one
;-)).
Did I not just recently read a review in QST where they found 48WPM was the
limit of the 100D without character shortening?? (I know this can change
rapidly).

Not trying to disparage anyone, nor any rig, nor do I have the ability, or
capability, to do any of the above.  I do not know the  answers the questions I
posed, but they are the thoughts that ran thru my simple mind on a Monday
morning......AND, I am guessing there are those on the list that CAN answer
them, AND do the above proposed experiments. I also postulate many on the list
would like to "HEAR" the results, not just SEE them.

If I am off-base tell me to go jump in the lake..... I have one close by, and
it isn't even frozen over yet!!!

73-
Greg Schippers, KC8HXO