Re: [TenTec] Making a Ten Tec Corsair sound great on CW

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Making a Ten Tec Corsair sound great on CW
From: Al Gulseth <wb5jnc@centurytel.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 12:56:14 -0500
Steve,

I've used a super simple approach for an outboard CW filter with older
Ten-Tecs: an 88mH telephone toroid in series with a 0.47uF+/- Mylar etc.
non-polarized cap, with a low-value pot or selected resistor across them.
Adjust the cap value to set the desired center frequency (or compensate for
component tolerances) and the pot/resistor to adjust the Q for your preferred
a balance of bandwidth and ringing. (Yes, the combination can ring a bit
without some resistance across it.) This circuit has the added benefit of
knocking the level down to "just about right" for low-Z headphones and is
surprisingly effective for as simple as it is. The values aren't critical:
I've seen 77mH pot cores mentioned as another option. Just choose a cap value
to resonate the circuit at your preferred pitch.

73, Al