Re: [TenTec] Paragon I PLL

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Paragon I PLL
From: Wade Staggs <tvman1954@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 19:03:55 -0500
*These folks are 100% correct. And Hello Jim. After removing the top case
on your rig, you will find a compartment under the board closest to the
front and left side of the rig. Inside that metal box/compartment, you will
find the Major and Minor PLL Loop Boards. Carefully remove them One at a
time. Now with a 30 watt and temperature controlled soldering iron. ( Small
Tip ) Reflow/Resolder every connection. be very careful not to create any
solder bridges. I personally use one of the boom mounted magnifying glasses
with the circular lamp built in, to see exactly what we are soldering. And
if you can use just a very little small diameter solder for the reflow
without making solder bridges? That's even better. This is a very common
problem with the Paragon and the mentioned Major and Minor Loop Boards.
Repairing this failure made me a Lot of friends back in the day.  *

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 2:01 PM, <k7mks@comcast.net> wrote:

> In past 2 days my Paragon, after having been turned OFF for several hours
> up to overnight, has experienced 2 failures of PLL locking. In each
> instance, after turning on the Paragon, i pressed the RESET button and
> normal operation for hours, in all respects (mode and band changes) plus
> power output, was returned
>
> This is a cosmetically excellent radioi with all fllters and a Giehl chip
> The "P" word has not entered the picture yet but my comfort zone with PLL's
> is zero. Would appreciate helpful comments to help keep this radio in one
> piece!
>
> Thank you Joe k7mks

*Living one day at a time with Jesus as my Savior. But, still having Fun.*