Re: [TenTec] Paragon I PLL

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Paragon I PLL
From: Bwana Bob <wb2vuf@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 22:58:55 -0400
Yes, there is no other fix. The nuisance part is desoldering and removing the shield covers on the underside of the PLL boards. Go slowly with the solder reflow work and be patient and you will be rewarded. I've had to reflow the solder on both of my Paragon PLL boards. You may be able to localize the problem my tapping on the board.

If you get a "PLL UNLOCK" display only on certain bands or frequencies, it may be that the VCO for that band (there are 4) needs alignment, but by far, the most common cause for PLL unlock is the soldering. It seems that Ten Tec did not tin the component leads or board and there was oxide on the leads, which prevented proper solder wetting.

73,

Bob WB2VUF