Re: [TenTec] Scads of used Icom IC-7300

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Scads of used Icom IC-7300
From: Katz Ajamas <ajamas.rn@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 11:23:21 -0400
Dr Rick-

I am only saying that the 7300 has a band pass filter covering the 40m
band. It is a bit wider(6500-8000kHz) than the band. If it's too wide for
the conditions, a pre-selector is one solution. If it is adequate for the
conditions, there is no need for a pre-selector. If the MFJ pre-selector
does the job, there is no need to wait for someone to introduce a better
one. I have only heard you mention problems on 40m. Why would we need
dedicated filters for every ham band? Perhaps if we want a multi
transmitter contest grade radio for $1400. For 40m, one of the $100 filters
you mention or trap(s) for the offending nearby station(s) will make 40m
front end filtering at least as good as the 6500. Here, I use a trap with
160m because of a 5kW station on 1690kHz that is <2km from my QTH and has a
3 ele phased array in my direction!

As I said earlier, I will not be buying a 7300. Primarily because the DSP
is not set up for weak signal CW. If I were to buy another 100W HF rig, it
would be another Eagle or maybe a TS590SG. The 7300 Hysteria will need to
drive the used price down a bit more.

73, -Bob