Re: [TenTec] Scads of used Icom IC-7300

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Scads of used Icom IC-7300
From: "rick@dj0ip.de" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 17:40:49 +0200
Bob,

Indeed, 40m is the main band where needed, unless of course the transceiver
is participating as one of the radios in a multi-multi station - in which
case you need this for all bands.

The problem here is not caused by one station.  It is caused by a multitude
of stations broadcasting in the 41m and 39m bands.  41m begins at 7200 kHz
and Radio China pegs most S-meters.  The 49m band ends at 6200 kHz.

Sinisa was right, the BPFs made for transmitters really aren't good enough.
You do need a good preselector.
I have not tried the MJF preselector and don't know if it is good enough or
not.

There are some really good preselectors on the used market, such as those
made by Braun, but they sell for just as much or more now, then they did
when new 20 years ago.  Supply and demand.

3 years ago, Ten-Tec was considering to bring out a high performance
preselector.  I discussed this with Jack Burchfield and John Henry.  They
thought it would retail for (as I recall) about $800, which in today's
currency is probably what the Brauns cost. I didn't think they could ever
recover their investment and they didn't think they could build it much
cheaper so the project was scrapped.

John Henry can supply more details if he's monitoring this thread.

Coax stubs work great for taking out single stations.  I don't know how well
they work for taking out a range of frequencies.  Maybe "good enough".  In
that case, one for the 49m and one for the 41m bands might be enough and a
lot cheaper than a good preselector.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)