Re: [TenTec] Scads of used Icom IC-7300

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Scads of used Icom IC-7300
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 12:22:50 -0400
>"Here in Europe on large antennas at night on the low bands, especially 40m,
>PIN diodes can partially forward bias and create IMD products.  All the strong
>arguments you hear from engineers in favor of PIN diodes are coming from the
>states, not from the engineers in Europe.  A reed relay is a better option."

I believe the concern relates to the type of switching diode and bias levels
used in a *Receiver's* BPF, not a PIN T/R system.  Ulrich Rhode made this a
popular topic in the early 1990s with his QST article titled: "Key Components
of Modern Receiver Design: A Second Look."  See his discussion concerning PIN
diode biasing with comparisons to other forms of band switching diodes.

QST subscribers can read it here:

http://p1k.arrl.org/pubs_archive/90957

Paul, W9AC