Re: [TenTec] The New TenTec

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] The New TenTec
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 13:33:22 -0700
Wayne and Eric have a strong resemblance to Al Kahn (K4FW) and Jack Burchfield (K4UJ), the two guys who made Ten Tec what it WAS. I strongly suspect that, while neither is getting rich, Elecraft is profitable, sufficiently so to be able to fund strong customer support and ongoing R&D. Eric is the business and marketing guy, but both are engineers. In the 12 years I've been paying attention, I haven't seen a single dumb move. Roughly 10 years ago, they showed a couple of big power amps at a few ham events, but the designs weren't good enough, and they started over. The result was the KPA500, which has proven to be a very nice amp.

Some of the best things about Elecraft are that they do their best to 1) allow their customers to buy as many features as they need or can afford, by making the product modular; 2) allow their customers to upgrade their products by adding modules; 3) expand capabilities by upgrading the firmware that runs the radio; and 4) LISTEN to their customers.

As a result of 1, 2, and 3, I was able to upgrade the two K3s that I bought in 2008 to bring them up to 90% of the performance improvements offered by their new K3S, introduced in 2015, simply by replacing three boards in each radio. With all other ham rigs, I would have had to sell my old radio and buy a new one. (Three boards because they have two receivers -- a radio without the second RX would require only two boards). The new boards were a new synthesizer that reduces phase noise on both TX and RX by about 10 dB, and a new transceiver interface board that adds replaces the original preamp with one that has far better performance on 12, 10, and 6M. I could have replaced the I/O board, which adds a USB interface that does both control and carries audio I/O, but chose not to. The three boards I installed in each radio cost about $650 per radio. Compare that with the cost of selling an Orion I and buying an Orion II.

And just as Ten Tec employed a lot of people in TN, Elecraft employs both people around Santa Cruz, CA who work at their factory/office, and other engineers who mostly work at home. Some of this I know because many are my neighbors. :)

Elecraft is also doing some things you may not realize. As we age, most of us have either already downsized to live in places where it's hard to have a good antenna farm (or any antennas at all), and those of us who haven't will eventually if we don't die first. About 4 years ago, after a lot of R&D, Elecraft introduced a K3/0 control head that could be used to run a K3 remotely. This spring, I heard an excellent talk by one of the Elecraft support techs about 3-4 different ways that hams can operate other stations remotely. Only one of those ways was with the paid "Remote Ham Radio" stations, and not all needed the K3/0 control head.

Elecraft also makes some very nice compact radios and radios designed for QRP and backpacking. Their KX2 (80-10M) and KX3 (160-6M) are state of the art radios, but both are super compact, lightweight, have a built-in battery pack (AA batteries), and draw very little current on RX.

AND -- they sell their products directly to hams, like the old Ten Tec. No markup by dealers who do nothing but receive boxes and ship them.

I'm posting this because I view Elecraft as TODAY'S version of the Ten Tec that Al and Jack built back in the '70s. For those who don't know, Al Kahn started Ten Tec with his share of the return from selling Electro-Voice (I'm guessing because his partner, co-founder Lou Burroughs wanted out). Ten Tec's factory opened across the street from EV's factory. Al's obit noted that, behind the scenes and without fanfare, EV helped keep ARRL going during WWII and did a lot to support Heathkit.

73, Jim K9YC