Re: [TenTec] Hi all...(Omni-D power connector)

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Hi all...(Omni-D power connector)
From: tfr001@myfairpoint.net
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2017 18:13:45 +0000
My guess is that a (shunt) 15v 10W zener isn't going to last long with 20A available... best (but unlikely) case, long enough to trip the (latching?) over-current protection before vaporizing zener "open". Allen--W7GIF

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought too, which is why I picked a 10W zener. All I want is for it to blow the fuse and protect the radio... don't really care if it fries itself. Although those Bel Power modules look like they might work better. Thanks for the pointer.
I have used a 15v 10 watt zener diode and a 20 amp fusefor years.? There is no current limiting resistor for the diode.? When the voltage exceeds 15 volts, the diodeconducts and the diode shorts blowing the fuse and the equipment is protected. Clayton N4EV

Yup, the idea with the zener being... You hook it up power to ground, after the fuse, no limiting resistors or anything. if you reverse polarity on the power, the zener conducts forward and blows the fuse. If you overvoltage, it exceeds the reverse (zener) breakdown, conducts reverse and blows the fuse. I used to do that years ago with homebrew QRP stuff, but of course 1W zeners worked fine there. -Tom N1OOQ