Re: [TenTec] Orion I , worth the trouble?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion I , worth the trouble?
From: Gary F <dukeshifi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2017 22:55:38 -0500
An Orion is not a radio to shy away from. Yes Ten Tec is not what it was and
yes, some chips cannot be found. That is true for ALL solid state radios built
in the last 20 years or so, probably gen longer.

What percentage of radios actually fail in areas where parts availability is an
issue? Maybe 5%?

If you want to be insulated from lack of parts, stay with your Collins and live
with the inferior 1960's performance. Otherwise, jump on the Orion as described
and open up a new world of hearing sensitivity, stability and selectivity.
While Ten Tec DSP noise reduction is not my favorite it is far better than
nothing, which is what you get with your old friends, Collins...

Don't get me wrong. I love old Collins radios, but not because they work better
than new ones (they don't) but because, like my 1979 Mercedes Benz 280SL, they
represent the best that was available at the time, and they are still
beautiful, and repairable.

Gary

Sent from my iPad