Re: [TenTec] [] Running a Century 21 on external 12V power

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] [] Running a Century 21 on external 12V power
From: Gary F <dukeshifi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2017 23:04:16 -0500
Josh, I don't know what you mean by tropical fish capacitors but some
capacitors are quite sensitive to noise pickup, as you describe, especially in
high gain audio circuits like this one. This is the reason why some early
capacitor designs were supposed  to be installed in a preferential
direction-not because they were polarized but because they were fabricated in
such a way that the last layer of the cap acted as a shield for the rest of the
capacitor within.

I doubt that changing those caps will resolve your hum. Jim and I agree (I
think) that reducing magnetic coupling is your best shot at the hum problem
resolution.

Gary
Sent from my iPad