[TenTec] On cleaning connectors

To: tentec@contesting.com, "TentecOmniVII@groups.io" <TentecOmniVII@groups.io>, TenTecEagle@groups.io, TentecJupiter538@groups.io, TentecArgonautVI@groups.io, tentec-scout@groups.io
Subject: [TenTec] On cleaning connectors
From: Bob McGraw K4TAX <rmcgraw@blomand.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2020 11:24:35 -0500
Seems that I keep preaching this topic over and over and over. I recently addressed this issue on a Scout and a Century 22.

Fact is, connectors oxidize.  It is the laws of chemistry and physics and has little to do with the conditions where the radio resided, past or present.  When connectors oxidize the electrical path is interrupted by the thin layer of oxidation.

The solution is simple.   CLEAN ALL OF THE CONNECTORS.  Thus removing the oxidation and the radio returns to normal operation.    Just be sure to exercise the male connector on the female connector a couple of times and then be sure the connector is correctly and fully seated before moving on to the next connector.

As to the cleaning process;  a Q-Tip with contact cleaner applied, {your choice of the magic chemistry} and then scrubbing the male pins is all that is necessary.    No hocus pocus, black magic, or voodoo act required.   And while you are in there.........DON'T screw with anything else.

73

Bob, K4TAX