Topband: Last Night on 160

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Last Night on 160
From: richard at karlquist.com (Richard Karlquist)
Date: Thu Jan 23 05:43:38 2003
> In all my years on 160 I have never heard anything like
> it for a non
> contest night.  In a few hours last night parked on 1.823Khz I was
> working waves of Europeans almost like 40 meters from
> 0400 to 0600Z.

> Herb, KV4FZ
> St. Croix, VI

Sunday night seemed to have great condx
on the west coast as well.  V31YN was
easily worked along with a portable in
Costa Rica, whereas on Saturday night,
the V31 was only audible on QSB peaks.
By 9:00 local time, there was very little
activity on the band, so I called CQ (on phone),
and got several replies.  Stations kept
breaking in, and we must have had a
group of 10 stations eventually.  The band
was very quiet and even the guys who
were barefoot to low dipoles were
copyable on my vertical, and were totally
armchair copy on a beverage.  Then WD4OSN
broke in with a huge signal from Kentucky.
Some of the lower power stations on the west
coast were also able to work the KY station.
A very modest station in CO also had a booming
signal here.

Another funny thing was the complete lack
of the usual QSB you get on 160.  Many stations
commented how quiet the band was.  I thought
some of my beverages were broken at first,
they were so quiet.

Rick Karlquist    N6RK
richard@karlquist.com
www.n6rk.com