Re: Topband: Broadband vertical

To: ersmar@comcast.net, w8ji@contesting.com, barrie@centric.net,topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Broadband vertical
From: Earl W Cunningham <k6se@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 12:28:35 -0700
AD3F wrote:

"My shunt wire consists of two parallel #14 wires separated from each
other by 18 inches and held off the tower face two feet.  Perhaps this
arrangement is what helps my shunt-fed tower exhibit such a broad BW
on 160M."
A Swedish ham on this reflector used a similar shunt feed.  Out of
curiosity on how much the two wide-spaced wires would increase the BW
over a single shunt feed wire, I modeled his tower with both types of
shunt feed.

The two-wire shunt feed increased his BW from about 100 kHz to about 105
kHz.  The biggest difference was that the two-wire shunt feed had to
connect to his tower several feet higher to hit the 50-ohm "sweet spot".

73, de Earl, K6SE